Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Weekly Advertising Tip: Facebook

I had an interesting experience the other day. While surfing on Sweeva, I noticed some comments being made by online marketers that they were not members at Facebook. I couldn't help myself. I had to make a comment that, if you are trying to market online and you're not on Facebook, you should just quit. Facebook is that important. 

Ignoring Facebook would be like selling boats in Arizona. It would make much more sense to sell boats in a region where lakes are more plentiful. On the same token, we are in a people business, so it only makes sense to go where the people are. 

Yes, Facebook has millions of users, but the kicker is the time spent on the site. People spend more time on Facebook than any other site.  So, not only are lots of people there, but the people who are there are more attentive. What does this mean to you? Simply that the people who are there have that much more chance of finding you. 

So, millions of people are spending considerable time on Facebook every day. Tell me again why anyone would ignore this as a marketing venue. 

As for how to market on Facebook, it all depends on who you ask. The safest way is through Facebook ads. At least you won't have to worry about FB shutting down your profile for that. But, this can get costly. So, the real trick is being able to connect with as many people as possible and still fly under the radar. You never want to look like a spammer to Facebook or its users. 

I do have a system that I use on Facebook, and it is highly effective. If the system is followed correctly, people will be calling you almost daily, without spamming the entire network. 

Then there are those people out there teaching others the worst possible methods for using Facebook. They are easy to spot. They send out random friend requests, spam groups and pages, or even spam the profiles of their friends. 

Another tactic is to send messages to everyone in FB that comes up in a search for MLM, or whatever the person is targeting. They will claim to be a top producer, and can show you how to do the same. But, there will be a few red flags to watch for. #1, if they have their friends list hidden, even to friends, RED FLAG. This usually means they have very few friends and don't want you to see that. All they really have to offer is to show you how to use this same failed method. 

The "Fake it 'til you Make it" mentality has found its was to social media too. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people have approached me saying they were the top earner in their company, or that they were working with the top earner. Seriously? These are some of the same people that have all of their friends and wall posts set to private. What are they trying to hide?

Facebook will be a common topic in this weekly advertising series. Social media in general will be a recurring theme. It is such a wonderful medium for getting to know people that network marketers cannot afford to ignore it. 

If you would like to know more about the Facebook method I use, shoot me an email. Be sure to include "Facebook Method" in the subject. Or, if you are serious about an education in the Network Marketing industry, start right now by reading "Success in Ten Steps" and call me when you're done (my number is on the last page).I look forward to hearing from you.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post Bill. I get a kick out of people who approach me like this. Especially when they cold call me stating what you just mentioned. I must share this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty funny isn't it Tim? Sometimes it's all I can do to be polite and not tell them what I'm really thinking.

      Delete
  2. Great info Bill! I agree, ignoring fb is a big mistake when it comes to your business marketing.

    One area I would respectfully disagree with you on is when people hide their friends list. I understand what you are saying, however, the reason I hide my friend list is, is for my friends privacy.

    I always love to read your thoughts and suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Elise. You are in a different type of business, so hiding the friends isn't such a big deal. But, when you are in an industry such as mine, you need to let it be known that you do know some people. sometimes I forget that not everyone who markets on Facebook is in the network marketing industry.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you need marketing for your small business. Visit Influx Marketing by clicking the link below and get YOUR business found on Google.