Sunday, May 15, 2011

Big MLM Tip of the Day: My Story - Part 2

As the great philosopher Forrest Gump put it, "I've worn lots of shoes". 

After I got out of the Navy in '93 I worked a lot of different jobs, mostly in manufacturing, construction, and oil and gas production, for almost a decade. During that time, I tried several different sales jobs. I failed miserably as a salesman. 

Also during this time, I was exposed to several network marketing businesses, but I only ever joined one of them. I was living in Utah at the time, over a thousand miles from my family and friends. My "warm market" consisted of co-workers and neighbors. I did not know many people at the time, and the Internet was still in its infancy. 

I managed to show the plan to some coworkers, acquaintances and even the guy who sold me my car. I sponsored two people and they both quit before the ink was dry on their form (yes, it was still an actual paper form back then). 

Without more people to talk to I had little chance of success. My upline was little help. All they could tell me were vague comments like, "you need to meet more people" (no kidding). I cannot blame them though, as they did know any better either. 

I left the network marketing industry defeated thinking I just was not cut out for it. It took 15 years before I learned that it wasn't me. 

Tomorrow I will share with you what turned everything around for me.

5 comments:

  1. Bill, I like the this post because I like that movie with Forest Gump. This movie could be applied to many principles for life and business. How you related to it is powerful. Keep these good post coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill,

    I feel very much the same as yourself. Picking through the 'numbers' has never done it. But I do believe that there is power in numbers.

    One area where I think we may differ is in your statement that you found out that it wasn't 'you'. In every situation we find ourselves, there is always a modicum of personal responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude no way man that makes a whole lot of sense dude.

    www.anon-toolz.se.tc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great To Read More About Your Story Bill! Looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Bill I can really relate to this as I myself fell pray to MLM with no upline support. Although it's only been a few years for me (2003) I gained from it a deterence from the MLM World and had it not been for Terri I would still be away. so thanks for sharing your story. It' helps when we see others have traveled the same path

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you need marketing for your small business. Visit Influx Marketing by clicking the link below and get YOUR business found on Google.